Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Latest Find: 1921 Singer 15

 Antique shops are always dangerous to my wallet. Case in point: we visited a new to us antique shop in Phoenix, and this Singer 15 demanded that it come home with me. 


She's pretty, runs well, and comes with most of her attachments, how could I say no? 

Let's check her out:


The shop had labeled the machine as a "Singer 30", which isn't correct. I think they didn't notice the last digit, and thought it was a model 31 from 1910. It isn't, but it would be cool to find one in similar condition. Just look at those decals! Beautiful. 


Decals in nice shape. Some expected wear, although I'm surprised that what's worn off is further to the right than where I'd expect wear. I guess the original owner sewed a lot of wider projects? 


Top view to catch more of the designs and to see the top of machine. 


THIS is what sold me. Love, love, LOVE that decal section. 

Also. take note that this machine only has stitch length adjustment, and there aren't any markings to identify the chosen stitch length, so you have to do multiple test stitching exercises to determine the best setting for the current project. 



The '20s certainly got into decorating everything. I always enjoy seeing a beautiful machine with grape leaves design on this section. 


Back side of the machine. The light is attached to the machine behind the metal access port. There's a ring and stick that holds it on. See below.


Light removed and laying on the floor. Metal access port disk nearby. The disk covers the ring and the screw holds both in place. 


Light in place without the metal disk to show how it's placed behind the disk. 


Metal disk with grape leaves pattern covering the large oiling hole and the ring that holds the light in place. 


Original looking outboard motor for the machine. 


Closeup of the back of the head of the machine showing the tensioner and decals. 


In the '20s, you could get a treadle, hand crank, or motorized version of the machine. The motor bolts on along the right side, and the freewheel is spoked so a hand crank could be installed instead. The treadle belt guard is also present on this model. 


The collection of attachments that came with the machine. I always love it when the attachments are included because occasionally I find something new or in better shape than what I already have in stock from my other machines. 


I am not sure what this is... here's the "top" view? 


Rolled onto its side.

Bottom view? (or is this upside down? I am not sure what it is). 


Other side side view. Yeah, that's a strange gadget. I'll figure it out eventually or perhaps someone recognizes it and will comment with its identification. 

I recently used this machine to sew a top. It did a great job. I'm still not a fan of the Singer rolled hem foot, but I used it for this project to hem the top and except for near the seam intersections, it worked well. I suppose it just take practice to get it working well. 

Happy Sewing!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Tale of Two Singer 15s : 1921 vs 1953. What Changed? What Stayed the Same?

 In my last post, I introduced my "newest" (yet oldest) Singer 15 ~ a Singer 15 manufactured in 1921 .  This wasn't my first S...