Tuesday, February 8, 2022

First Foray into Card Making

 


Up until just recently, I have never created a card using my machine. I decided it was about time to give it a go. On Jennifer Maker's site, I stumbled upon the "Impossible Card template".  After reading through her tutorial I thought that it would a fun card to create for my Dad's birthday. I downloaded the template, closed my browser, and went to work making it. 

The first struggle I had was finding the right color cardstock in my stash. I simply did not own primary color cardstock. The good thing is that I have a lot of permanent vinyl in many colors, including the colors I needed for the card. I applied some shiny gold vinyl to white cardstock to use for the background pieces. I created the red, yellow, and blue from vinyl applied to cardstock.  

The next roadblock I had was weeding the extremely small letters. The blue and white letters shredded so badly that they weren't useful. I tossed them and simply cut out the lettering in just vinyl. 

Remember that I mentioned that I had closed the browser? Big mistake. While gluing things together, I discovered that I was short two red circles (they go behind the cut out white to make the word "happy"). I wasn't actually short any red circles - I had started gluing the red circles on from the leftmost location, even though the first and last spot (with the * in them) were supposed to be backed with gold. Oh well, Dad won't know the difference, right? I cut another pair of circles and filled that in.  

Lesson learned: always keep the tutorial open when making something for the first time. 


HAPPY CRAFTING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Tale of Two Singer 15s : 1921 vs 1953. What Changed? What Stayed the Same?

 In my last post, I introduced my "newest" (yet oldest) Singer 15 ~ a Singer 15 manufactured in 1921 .  This wasn't my first S...